Good Afternoon, World 🙂
My phone just deleted a chunk of this post, so I’m frustrated. Here’s a recap of what I tried to say:
Woefully behind on most of my goals for August, which consist of:
– Writing 1,000 words a day. Scratch that: this week, try for 1,500 words. I probably wrote about a thousand words all week, and much of that was on freelance orders. Way to go, self.
– Write articles on medium.com. Pah, yeah, ok. I’ve written one of those, and about 25% of the other. Time to either get cracking, or reorient myself.
– Finish my outline for “Blood of the Witch,” and to try to not lose my mind. Getting there… Getting there, goddamn it.
Obviously that last one is a complete and total fail. And hey, what do you know, the first one, too.
But at least this tells me a little bit about the workload that I can currently handle.
In fact, I had meant to up the ante by trying to write 1500 words. And instead so barely wrote anything, because I was incapacitated with a splitting migraine for about three days, and a flurry of surprise freelance work.
Sometimes I encumber myself.
So let’s take what we’ve learned here and adjust the rest of the month.
Here are Augusts goals, revised:
– Post on blog every day. Sup World?
– Post at least one more article on Medium. If you feel like more, awesome.
– Finish writing BOTW outline. This one is by far the most important goal to me. I’ve got to get this one done.
Outlines are tricky because you can’t measure your progress by counting words. I find myself writing, going back and rewriting, fixing shit, adjusting shit, playing around with different ideas, seeing what works, seeing what doesn’t.
It’s like a cloud, constantly reforming as you try to shape it.
At least twice I’ve made it up to chapter 9, then come up with a better idea that requires me to slam a battering ram through the last several chapters, set the thing on fire, and start laying bricks again. I eagerly await the moment when I decide “Yes! Perfect.” And I can finally start writing the actual novel.
Then the real fun begins.
So what are you up to, world? Are you enjoying the Sun? Make sure you’re protecting your skin properly. Skin cancer is no joke. And drink plenty of water!
Thanks for tuning in, you’ll see me here tomorrow, I bloody well hope.